The purpose of a summary is to condense a passage of writing into the main points.
– Read through the complete piece and think about its meaning. Re-read at least once more and decide what the central subject of the article is.
– List the important ideas, leaving out examples and other information. Use only essential ideas. (Look for topic sentences in paragraphs to help you find the main ideas.)
– Be careful not to alter the original meaning.
– Think about the key points and rewrite them in a few paragraphs using your own words.
– Read your paragraphs carefully. Do they make sense? Do your sentences flow logically from one point to another?
– Revise your paragraphs. Cut unnecessary words or repetitions. Write the final version.